Author Topic: New version of Legato II on the drawing board  (Read 1259 times)

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New version of Legato II on the drawing board
« on: May 29, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »
OK, basically, all it will do is make it work the way I wanted it to work the first damn time. This time (after folks killed a bunch of batteries), I get my way.

So...............here is the deal................

The  "charger" (aka SMPS) has to be plugged in for it to work. Yes, that means no "off-the-grid" operation. Tough.

"But SMPS generate noise, and blah, blah, blah................"

Yeah, I get it. You know what else I get?

It is increasingly harder to find transformers that don't buzz. Decent 'lytics, suitable for power supplies. There is so many battles to fight, and you have to decide which hills you are willing to die on. (None, really, but...................)

So, SMPS it is.

And the battery stays...........because that was how it was intended to work.

Now, the 2 big questions: how many and how much?

First one is easy: we have 6 natural ("silver"/clear) panels, and 3 black ones. And that is it. after that, we will probably not make any more. Mainly because the battery adds a lot of weight, and makes it impossible to export.

Unless our customers are rich. Which they obviously are not.

How much....................I dunno may be a discount, of some sort, to clear out some space. More likely to discount the natural ones than the black ones.

"Well, what happens when these are gone, and there are no more original ones because yesterday you said there was only going to be 3 of those and you only plan to sell them to export customers and........................"

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. If it takes 4 years to sell them all, then that should tell you all that you need to know.

There is always the Lite..................essentially the same thing, just in a smaller box, and lower price tag.

Which also means we make less money, so stop your kvetching!

There will be one or two little tricks in the big brother, that is not in the Lite.

Have to do something to justify the price, right?

(I know...............some of  you will go "well, it is only $400...........how good can it be"? Either buy one, and find out, or just help us get rid of all these extra parts and face plates that are sitting around. Your choice.)

And remember.............the II has transformer-coupled and direct-coupled outputs. It is the only version like that. Plus, it has fancy-schmancy "edge-launch" BNCs, for really good return loss. (Oh, did I mention the guys who make them have been gobbled up, and now have a new and improved higher price!?) So, another reason to move on from this design.

But................one.......................last......................gasp..................

Buy 'em now, before they are all gone!

(Uh, but I am just now starting the PCB design, and the battery charger circuit needs to be tweaked. So, it is going to be a few weeks. Start saving your money.)