Author Topic: New Legato and Legato Lite are in production  (Read 16433 times)

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Legato and Legato Lite are in production
« on: May 02, 2019, 12:38:21 PM »
Slowly, but when have we ever been speedy?

In any case, who else can turn out something this good?

(Phase noise plots of the second units, of each model.)

OK, someone is going to ask what the differences are, besides the price and the way they are powered.

Very little, once you set aside the type of supply used. The main one is the "big" Legato has a special regulator, for the clock. The Lite uses a 5-legged gizmo, to save space and cost. Not much difference, especially if you are someone who constantly says the noise floor isn't important. But, since the "big brother" has more space inside, we can spend a few more $ to get the last ounce of performance.

Or not..................you decide.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:08:27 PM by AR-T »

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Legato and Legato Lite are in production
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Oh, the big brother still uses what used to be an affordable military quality BNC connector.

It is now an unrealistically priced connector, and once our old stock is gone..................are you guys willing to pay an extra $100 or so to cover our cost increase?

"Hell, no!"

Offline tubesguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 05:15:55 PM »
I'm still listening to music, rather than devoting much time to writing, but I'd be remiss if I let too much time go by before saying that the new Legato arrived on Friday, and is one of the best audio devices that I've ever had a chance to evaluate. From the very first track, it has impressed with an organic, but crystal-clear rendition of the textures, timing and timbres of everything I chose, whether "audiophile" or just plain ol' damn good music.

I had thought that I was one of those guys who had to upsample everything to DSD1024 to, you know, make it sound extremely hi-res, but please trust me on this: Properly reproduced (and this isn't, I'm sure, limited just to a good clock) 44.1 recordings are incredibly satisfying. More to come, but if you have a chance to audition one of these, do so.

Offline drmike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
tubesguy,
which legato do you have
Thanks,
drmike

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:21:27 PM »
He has the reworked version of the original, aka "big brother". (Also, clear panels.)

Offline drmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
price of big brother?

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 07:31:30 PM »
$800.

Offline alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 07:26:26 AM »
I'd like to buy Legato Lite.

Offline tubesguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
He has the reworked version of the original, aka "big brother". (Also, clear panels.)

He does, and he is quite happy with it.   ;)

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 07:47:40 PM »
I'd like to buy Legato Lite.

We were short a few parts, and UPS lost the first order that was sent out. (They claimed the address was wrong, but that was BS. I hate UPS, and it was not supposed to go out via UPS, so there is one more reason to hate them.)

Anyway, your unit has been breaking in. Since you are export, your unit gets a lot more break-in, as you can't drive by our shop and throw it at us, if it dies.

Now...............you have to make a decision..................

You get a FREE BNC cable (with an adapter), with your unit. Or...................

You can buy our better cable, which normally costs $200, for only $150! But, only if you purchase it with your "Lite". If you buy it after it ships, it is $200. (Plus postage, of course!)

Let me know................we make all cables "to order", which is pretty much what we do with all of the crap that we make. (If it is "pre-assembled", it sits around, and runs the risk of someone dropping something on it. It has happened.......................don't ask!)

Let me know.

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 07:49:48 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention...............as the plot is not ready, because.....................because.................I am either lazy or haven't found time to make it, but................

The phase noise @ 1 Hz offset...................

-92 dBc.

Everyone else is going to hate you.

Offline alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 09:29:09 AM »
Oh, forgot to mention...............as the plot is not ready, because.....................because.................I am either lazy or haven't found time to make it, but................

The phase noise @ 1 Hz offset...................

-92 dBc.

Everyone else is going to hate you.

Wow, that's really amazing!!!

Now...............you have to make a decision..................

You get a FREE BNC cable (with an adapter), with your unit. Or...................

You can buy our better cable, which normally costs $200, for only $150! But, only if you purchase it with your "Lite". If you buy it after it ships, it is $200. (Plus postage, of course!)

Let me know................we make all cables "to order", which is pretty much what we do with all of the crap that we make. (If it is "pre-assembled", it sits around, and runs the risk of someone dropping something on it. It has happened.......................don't ask!)

Let me know.

I have 100ft reel (of the same cable that goes with SPDIF RX PCB), that I've planned to put between AR-T Legato Lite and dac, but if its better one I'd like to buy it.

Offline AR-T

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
I have 100ft reel (of the same cable that goes with SPDIF RX PCB), that I've planned to put between AR-T Legato Lite and dac, but if its better one I'd like to buy it.

Are you sure it is the "same kind of cable"?

If it is, then that is the free one. The expensive one is better. (If you knew how much it costs per foot, you would think we are nuts for selling a cable that cheap.)

Offline alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »
Are you sure it is the "same kind of cable"?
If it is, then that is the free one. The expensive one is better. (If you knew how much it costs per foot, you would think we are nuts for selling a cable that cheap.)

So, I'd like to buy the expensive one too. (It was my doubts that for that price it could be "same kind of cable" and if its even better I have no chances to get something similar for equal price and resonable lenght)

Thank you!

Offline alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
Dear AR-T,
I need your advice, because I have doubts about purchasing that better cable with discount. Since, I'm not usually buy brand cables (to be honest it's little bit expensive for me), but fully believe in engineering approach (I saw many your posts with measurements; mouser's\digikey's prices for quality cables) and trust your words, I'd like to ask you - is it worth to buy the expensive one (U-BYTE 2 looks reasonable purchase)?
I saw this two plots: http://www.analogresearch-technology.net/data/U-Byte1.jpg and http://www.analogresearch-technology.net/data/U-Byte2.jpg. And my inner perfectionist says me don't be a greedy person. Also, I think it's unfair to go with only that "free" cable, since you select for me so brilliant crystal -92db@1Hz in Legato Lite (I'll go without any cable for that price or with u-byte2). I have doubts with which cable I should go, it seems I need to sell that 100'.
Thank you!!!

ps. I'd like to thank you for SPDIF RX PCB, for all things and advices on the net! I'm feeling thrill of waiting for Legato Lite (it will be my main transport and probably best SPDIF source in my whole city at least)!